At A Bright Future Pediatrics in Plano, Texas, our pediatricians have both personal experience with adoption, as well as years of professional experience evaluating adoption referrals and following adoptees in our pediatric practice. We consider it an honor and a privilege to help you through the adoption process, from your initial referral to bringing your child home.
We perform pre-adoption consultations for both domestic and international adoptions. Our staff will help gather all available pre-adoptive health materials on your referral.
After reviewing available medical records, growth data, and photos/video, our doctors will meet with you for an initial consultation to discuss the information in detail and answer any questions you have about your referral, travel issues (if adopting from abroad), or the post-adoption adjustment period.
When it comes to adoption, particularly if you are adopting from a foreign country, health concerns and developmental issues are often difficult to assess with accuracy for a number of reasons:
- There may be very little or unreliable medical and family history for the child.
- There may have been undisclosed or unknown prenatal risk factors, birth complications, or postnatal medical problems, all of which could affect a child’s current and future health and development.
- Children from developing countries may have been exposed to diseases, parasites, or environmental toxins not commonly encountered in the United States.
- Older children who are adopted may have issues of neglect, deprivation, or other significant life stresses that affect their health, behavior, and development.
Given the information available to us, we will, to the best of our ability, provide a rough overall risk assessment of the child’s future medical or developmental special needs.
Post-adoption Medical Care
Following the adoption, we also provide post-adoption evaluations and ongoing pediatric care at our office in Plano, Texas, including:
- Lab work and metabolic screens
- Nutrition evaluations
- Vision and hearing screenings
- Developmental evaluations and recommendations for early childhood interventions
- Other recommendations and family support for issues such as:
- Attachment disorders
- Psychological issues
- Blended-family issues
Adoption Medicine Experience You Can Trust
Our pediatricians have helped numerous families in Plano, TX and the surrounding areas through the adoption process. We look forward to guiding you through the multitude of potential issues that arise with adoption and growing with your family through the years.